Purpose of the role
To build goal focused, self-organised agile teams that are capable of planning, organising and delivering their own backlog of work.
You will lead by example using agile values and your experience to motivate and guide the team towards their goals.
You will empower the team, building trust and creating an environment where everyone has a voice and is comfortable expressing their views.
You will be the focal point for delivery, visualising all work within the quarter and giving stakeholders confidence in your own and the team’s ability to deliver against our roadmap.
- Build and lead high-performing, empowered scrum teams that live and breathe core agile values and apply them in everything they do.
- Apply suitable agile practices and processes with a goal-oriented focus on delivery.
- Ensure teams operate effective practices to manage the backlog, plan and organise work, track velocity and continually improve performance.
- Ensure teams are provided with the right tools to plan and organise their work and that they use these tools effectively.
- Ensure teams embrace change and adopt suitable practices to deal with unplanned work.
- Ensure teams continually assess their performance and own their improvement actions and blockers. Where actions or blockers cannot be resolved by the team, be their advocate to make the changes happen.
Planning, organising and reporting
- Ensure teams own their backlog and take responsibility for defining their work.
- Lookahead into the programme to ensure future work is appropriately scoped and sized and allocated to the right team at the right time.
- Visualise the work, roadmap and release plan using an appropriate level of detail to reflect current and future work.
- Lead the presentation of the work, roadmap and release plan to stakeholders, including senior management and the Board, and be the focal point for questions and observations.
- Avoid surprises and expectation gaps through careful planning and effective communication.
Skills and experience
- You will have relevant certifications with demonstrable experience of leading cross-functional agile teams.
- You must have a minimum two years experience as a scrum master leading engineering teams and an additional three years experience in a scrum master or similar role – business analysis, product, projects or engineering.
- You will be able to talk about how you have created high-performing teams focused on agile values (not process).
- You’ll have a track record for delivering high quality software to a predictable roadmap, and be able to talk about how you have helped teams deal with adversity.
- Mindset is key. Effective agile is about people not process, so we need you to demonstrate the leadership and people skills required to build high-performing, goal-orientated teams.
- Planning Principles. Ensure the team is high-performing within the current sprint, by successful delivery. Future work is planned and scoped ready, with milestones set for the coming quarter.
- Finally, we need a commercial mindset. We’re here to build great software for our customers and need to strike the right balance between getting things right and getting things done.