• Articles
  • August 1, 2018
  • Admins

Hired or Fired: Using the Right Body Language


Your body communicates more than what you say. Research shows that words make up only 35% of your message, and the tone of your voice and body language make up the other 65%.


Use the following body language tips to help you look comfortable and confident, and also convey to the interviewer that you’re the perfect fit for the job.


Do these:

  • Sit comfortably, upright and but in a relaxed posture. Lean forward slightly to indicate interest
  • Rest your hands on the arms of the chair or comfortably in your lap
  • Maintain proper eye contact
  • Mirror your interviewer’s mannerism to build rapport
  • Nod intelligently when the interviewer asks you something
  • Speak in clear, controlled voice


Don’t do these:

  • Fidgeting or biting your nails
  • Crossing your arms or legs
  • Leaning backwards, looking away from the interviewer
  • Gazing fixedly at some point in the room
  • Becoming distracted by carpet, a picture, or other items in the room
  • Pointing your body towards the door
  • Kicking or tapping your foot
  • Tapping or playing with a pen
  • Propping your head on the palm of your hand
  • Yawning
  • Staring blankly at the interviewer
  • Scribbling on paper


Use the following speaking tips to help to project a confident and intelligent image.


Do these:

  • Pause and breathe deeply before speaking
  • Speak slightly slower than normal
  • Speak clearly
  • Vary the tone of your voice to sound more interesting
  • Relax your shoulders and jaws


Don’t do these:

  • Rattle out too many words each time
  • Mumble
  • Cover your mouth when you are speaking
  • Stiffen your jaws
  • Forget to breathe


Visit these pages for more tips on tackling your job interview:

Understanding and Preparing for Different Interview Formats

Tackling Different Types of Interview Questions

Understanding Different Assessment Methods

Acing your interview – Making a Good First Impression

Like Us on Facebook


Love this article? Share it

Contact us today.